Club History - 2012

3rd March 2012 

Tadgh MacCárthaigh advanced to the quarter-final stages of the U21 B football championship following this comfortable first round win secured against Kilmacabea at the Rossa Park, Skibbereen last Saturday afternoon.

Caheragh produced a very competent and composed team performance with every player contributing enormously to this deserved triumph over a very youthful and physically inferior Kilmacabea outfit. Caheragh in particular backboned by the O’Driscoll cousins Mark and Brian served notice of their strong championship aspirations with steller displays but they were very strong in every section of the field. Their defence was very commanding and strong with the movement and support play of each other in particular very impressive whilst midfield duo team captain John Russell and Cork minor and U21 ace Brian O’Drisoll linked well thus forming a very effective midfield partnership.

Caheragh were also very sharp in attack with ace centre forward Patrick Crowley unerringly accurate from set pieces. Full forward Mark O’Driscoll underlined his growing reputation with another insprational display with the towering target man registering four points from play.


Caheragh also reaped immense benefit from the fast direct ball tactic into their full forward line which was gleefully devoured by influential and imposing duo Mark O’Driscoll and Patrick Kirby. Caheragh now proceed to an appetising quarter-final tie against reigning champions Kilbrittain which has been scheduled to be played this Saturday afternoon in Rosscarbery. This very impressive Caheragh performance augurs well for the remainder of the championship season and they will harbour strong hopes of capturing the championship title for the first time since 2010.

Kilmacabea will be very perturbed by their lethargic and subdued second half showing with their tendency to foul repeatedly for slight demeanours allowing Caheragh a continuous platform to extend their lead. They retired at the interval only one point in arrears following a very competitive showing in the opening half but they failed to replicate their first half performance thus ensuing they were comprehensively outfought and outclassed in the second half. Star full forward John O’Sullivan fought valiantly throughout but far too often he was isolated thus ensuring his efforts were negated by a strong Caheragh defence whose re-deployment of Daniel Kingston to a defensive role in front of his full back line proved an inspired move with the wing back’s reading of the game and composure in possession providing an extra filip to his defensive colleagues.

Young ace corner forward Richie O’Sullivan also showed glimpses of a promising footballing future with his maurading runs a notable feature of the game. Niall Hayes, who worked tirelessly throghout in a roving role also played well for a Kilmacabea team who owing largely to their inexperience and physical inferiority were playing second fiddle to a very strong and focussed Caheragh team who will relish the prospect of pitting their wits against the reigning champions this Saturday.

Kilmacabea initially started brightly registering the opening two points per Colin Mc-Carthy (free) and Richie O’Sullivan who wisely fisted over following astute play from Liam Thompson. Caheragh restored parity by the ninth minute following two points from Brian O’Driscoll following a strong surging run from the midfield ace. First cousin Mark carrying on the rich and famous O’Driscoll GAA family dynasty notched his first point to level proceedings following good play from Brian O’Driscoll and Barry Hourihane.


The game was nip and tuck and being played in the right manner between two very sporting teams thus ensuring the pace of the game was relentless with play switching from end to end. Brian O’Driscoll and Niall Hayes traded points for their respective teams to ensure the teams remained level at the end of the opening quarter. Caheragh were gradually establishing themselves firmly in the ascendency with the strength and clever movement of Mark O’Driscoll providing a fitting attacking outlet and foil at the edge of the square. Patrick Crowley and Mark O’Driscoll added successive points to move Caheragh two points clear after 17 minutes.

Kilmacabea responded with three consecutive points from John O’Sullivan (two frees) to move one point clear after 21 minutes. Caheragh finished the first half strongly with their free flowing play paving the way for three successive points per Mark O’Driscoll, Patrick Crowley and Patrick Kirby which enabled them hold a two point lead with half-time approaching. Kilmacabea concluded the scoring in the first half when centre forward Padraig Haughney pointed to ensure his team trailed by one point at the interval.

Caheragh started the second half brightly registering four consecutive points per Patrick Crowley (three frees) and Mark O’Driscoll (following a quickly taken free from impressive centre half back George Gill, who thundered into proceedings in the second half) to move them five points clear after 45 minutes. The Kilmac forward sextet were starved of possession in the second half as the Caheragh midfield reinforced their superiority around the middle whilst the maurading runs of Paul O’Hea and Micheál O’Donovan added greatly to their attacking options.

Traded points

Colin McCarthy and Patrick Crowley traded points for their respective teams from frees to maintain the status quo before a truly wonderful goal from Brian O’Driscoll moved his side into a commanding eight point lead with full time approaching. O’Driscoll finished off a flowing move initiated deep in his own half by Paul O’Hea, before embarking on a typically barnstorming run before he unleashed a stunning long range drive into the roof of the net to ease Caheragh into a seemingly commanding lead. Colin McCarthy and Patrick Crowley registered further points for their respective sides from frees before a gallant finale by Kilmacs yielded 1-1 in the closing stages. Richie O’Sullivan netted in fortuitous circumstances following a long range drive before John O’Sullivan concluded the scoring with a pointed free.

Caheragh held firm to secure a deserved victory which sets them up nicely for their quarter-final assignment against current holders Kilbrittain this Saturday afternoon.

Scorers – Tadhg MacCárthaigh: Patrick Crowley 0-7 frees, Brian O’Driscoll 1-2, 0-1 free, Mark O’Driscoll 0-4, Patrick Kirby 0-1. Kilmacabea: Richie O’Sullivan 1-1, John O’Sullivan 0-4, 0-1 free, Colin McCarthy 0-3 frees, Niall Hayes, Padraig Haughney 0-1 each. Tadhg MacCárthaigh: Kieran Collins, Sean O’Donovan, Gearoid Hurley, Micheál O’Donovan, Daniel Kingston, George Gill, Paul O’Hea, John Russell, Brian O’Driscoll, Patrick Connolly, Patrick Crowley, Leon Burke, Barry Hourihane, Mark O’Driscoll, Patrick Kirby. Subs used: Gavin Harrington, David O’Hea. Kilmacabea: David O’Donovan, Padraig McCarthy, Colman O’Riordan, Ciaran O’Sullivan, Declan O’Sullivan, Sean O’Regan, Joseph O’Callaghan, Joseph Collins, Eamonn O’Sullivan, Liam Thompson, Padraig Haughney, Niall Hayes, Colin McCarthy, John O’Sullivan, Richie O’Sullivan. Sub used: Liam O’Driscoll. Referee: Frank Quill, Bantry.

24th March 2012 

TADHG MacCarthaigh secured their place in the South West U21 B football championship final following this hard fought triumph achieved against Ballinascarthy at John William Goulding Park, Leap last Saturday afternoon.

In a game that rarely rose above the mediocre with the pace of the game very slow and pedestrian, the decisive and pivotal moment of the game occurred in the 15th minute of the opening half when pacey forward Leon Burke netted a peach of a goal to move his side into a one point lead, a lead they were to subsequently enjoy for the remainder of the game to ensure they reached their first B championship final since 2010.

Caheragh were also indebted to the O'Driscoll cousins Mark and Brian for their scoring prowess with the talismatic duo accounting for five of their teams points throughout the game. Whilst there will be natural jubilance and joy at this latest Caheragh success, they will be well aware of the need to improve their performance levels dramatically if they are to annex the championship title for the third time in their illustrious history as they attempt to bridge a gap stretching back 22 years when they last secured championship glory. Caheragh now await the victors of the other semi-final encounter between Gabriel Rangers v Ibane Gaels.


The Caheragh defence once again excelled with in particular full back Paul O'Hea very impressive with his reassuring and commanding defensive presence integral to enabling them eke out this narrow triumph. Midfield duo John Russell and Brian O'Driscoll combined well with the aerial ability and combative nature of Russell's game complimenting nicely O'Driscoll’s strong and powerful running game.

Towering Caheragh corner forward Patrick Kirby was very influential throughout as he relished and thrived on the supply of long ball whilst talented full forward Mark O'Driscoll once again underlined his rich potential with an assured display linking well with his fellow attackers. This very young Ballinascarthy side will bemoan their failure to secure a final berth especially when presented with a glorious opportunity against an off form Caheragh outfit who failed to replicate the strong performance they displayed in their first round encounter.

Bal proceeded to kick a plethora of wides whilst ace full forward Cillian Cullinane was isolated for large periods of the game thus ensuring he ploughed a long furrow with very little support play from his fellow attacker. However this very young and inexperienced Bal team will improve from their championship experiences garnered this season and they will return next year with renewed confidence and optimism.

On a beautiful day for football and with the pitch in pristine condition, Caheragh initially started brightly with centre forward Patrick Crowley opening their scoring account in the third minute when he availed of good approach play from Brian O'Driscoll and Patrick Kirby. The aforementioned Kirby was central to everything good Caheragh achived in this game with his movement, aerial ability and link up play key components in unlocking the Bal defence. Ballinascarthy drew level within a minute when Cullinane converted a free following a foul on David Walsh.

Bal were operating to good effect in the opening stages with a two man full forward line of Cullinane and Walsh who linked up well in attack. Daniel Crowley struck a close range point in the fifth minute to move Bal into an early lead after he reacted quickest to a Cullinane shot which rebounded off the crossbar.

A feature of the game in the early stages was the very competent nature in which Bal moved the ball out of their defence with some excellent passages of play with, in particular, left half back Daniel Barrett prominent.

Bal extended their lead to two points in the 13th minute following another converted free from Cullinane but just as they appeared to be stamping their authority on proceedings their hopes were rocked by a sweeping Caheragh move which resulted in a delightful Leon Burke goal.

Ace centre back George Gill initiated the move deep in his own half, when the elegant Gill embarked on a barnstorming run before releasing to Patrick Crowley whose deft flick enabled Leon Burke to unleash a powerful drive to the roof of the net. Visably boosted by this goal, Caheragh quickly added a point through Mark O'Driscoll after good play again by the very talented Patrick Crowley. There were no more scores for the remainder of the half as Bal proceeded to kick five wides thus ensuring Caheragh held a two point lead at the interval.


Caheragh started the second half with far more urgency, intent and belief within their team. Brian O'Driscoll notched his first point of the game in impressive fashion within seconds of the resumption of the third quarter. The Cork minor and U21 panellist exchanged passes with Brett Cleary before unleashing a long range point. Mark O'Driscoll extended his side’s lead to four points when he also executed a stunning long range point after good approach play from George Gill. Caheragh were now firmly established in the ascendency and playing with more fluency and confidence with, in particular, their midfield duo of Russell and O'Driscoll dominant.

Brian O’Driscoll notched his second point of the game and this score was quickly followed by a Mark O'Driscoll point following good play by Patrick Kirby to move Caheragh six points clear with twenty minutes remaining. This score subsequently was to prove their last score of the game as they retreated into a defensive shell as Bal fought gallantly to preserve their championship aspirations.

The Bal shooting however was to continue to prove detrimental to their hopes of victory but the Caheragh defence equally deserve to be lauded for their discipline and resilience throughout with the redeployment of corner forward Barry Hourihane to a sweeper role in the second half also helping to copperfasten their defensive rearguard action.

Cillian Cullinane kicked three points in the closing stages of the game (two from frees) as a resilient Bal team laid siege to the Caheragh goal in the final stages but they could not penetrate a teak tough Caheragh team who held firm to seal their place in the final of the U21 B championship.

Scorers – Tadhg MacCarthaigh: Leon Burke 1-0, Mark O'Driscoll 0-3, Brian O'Dricsoll 0-2, Patrick Crowley 0-1. Ballinascarthy: Cillian Cullinane 0-5, 0-4 frees, Daniel Crowley 0-1. TadhgMacCarthaigh: Kieran Collins, Ger Hurley, Paul O'Hea, Micheal O'Donovan, Sean O'- Donovan, George Gill, Daniel Kingston, Brian O'Driscoll, John Russell, Patrick Connolly, Patrick Crowley, Leon Burke, Barry Hourihane, Mark O'Driscoll, Patrick Kirby. Sub used: Brett Cleary. Ballinascarthy: Daniel Coakley, James Murphy, David O'Brien, Mike Kirby, Cian Hennessy, Chris Ryan, Daniel Barrett, Daniel Nyhan, Seamus McCarthy, Daniel Crowley, Aidan O'Donovan, Jeremy Ryan, John McCarthy, Cillian Cullinane, David Walsh. Sub used: Barry Walsh. Referee: Vincent Dullea, Kilmeen

* The arrangements provided by the host club Kilmacabea GAA were first class throughout last Saturday for the much anticipated U21 championship double-header which attracted a large crowd. The pristine nature of the pitch, the array of parking spaces, good stewarding and programme provided ensured everything ran off smoothly whilst the beautiful refreshments served up by the ladies committee was most appreciated.

14th July 2012

Tadhg MacCarthaigh GAA Big game this weekend

THE big game this weekend is the junior A football championship fourth round game against Muintir Bhaire which goes ahead on Sunday in Bantry at 2pm.

The U12 footballers defated Kilmacabea, 7-7 to 3-4, on Saturday last to not only maintain their unbeaten record but to also be crowned league champions.


The Tadhg MacCarthaigh ladies made the trip to Carrigtwohill to play the hosts in the opening game of the junior B county championship.

In glorious sunshine, Caheragh began the game in very subdued fashion and were 1-4 in arrears within the opening 20 minutes. The ladies did just enough to remain on the coat tails of Carrigtwohillm, trailing 1-6 to 0-4 at the break.

Upon the resumption of the game, Caheragh played the better football and with a huge amount of possession quickly went about putting scores on the board.

With some wasteful shooting and Carrigtwohill’s defence digging deep to repel the Caheragh onslaught the game ended in a stalemate, 0-10 to 1-7.

Up next for the ladies is a home tie against Dromtarriff on Sunday July 15th at 7pm.

15th September 2012 

Caheragh GAA Countdown begins for final

FINAL fever has gripped Tadgh MacCárthaighs ahead of Saturday’s West Cork showdown with St Oliver Plunkett’s at Leap.

The junior As defeated champions Bandon in the semi-final replay last weekend to book their place in the big decider.

An excellent first half display saw them lead by seven points at the break and although Bandon came back strongly in the second half some great defending and goalkeeping kept the Caheragh net intact and resulted in a well deserved victory on a final scoreline of 1-13 to 0-7.

The big game goes ahead this Saturday in Leap with a 5.30pm start. It is hoped a big crowd will travel from the parish to support the lads, as they bid to win the Mick Mc Carthy Cup.

Club jerseys, hoodies and jackets for both adults and children, as well as Caheragh flags, will be available for purchase on Saturday morning in Aughaville between 11.30am and 12.30pm.

The Tadhg MacCarthaigh U14 girls continue their steady progress through their championship fixture list with a win over St Colum’s.

The Tadhg MacCarthaigh ladies recently defeated Dohenys, 1-13 to 2-9, after exra time in the semi-final of the West Cork junior championship in Dunmanway.

After a full-blooded 60 minutes there was nothing to separate the sides and it finished TadhgMacCarthaigh 1-10, Dohenys 2-7.

Entering the final five minutes of extra time, Caheragh held a two-point advantage and appeared to have the upper hand in the exchanges but Dohenys rallied.

When they pointed to put the difference at just one a nailbiting finish ensued, with Dunmanway throwing everything at Caheragh but the Tadhg MacCarthaigh ladies held out to clinch victory.

The ladies have now booked their place in the final and with the Caheragh U14 girls also assured of a place in the West Cork championship final, the club has high hopes of completing a historic double.

6th October 2012 Tadhg MacCárthaigh GAA

County adventure is over

THE Tadhg MacCarthaigh U14 girls have got their reward for a string of impressive results by competing in this year’s West Cork championship final. The girls take on Keelnameela this Saturday in Dunmanway at 3pm.

There was disappointment last weekend for the junior footballers when they were defeated by Rockchapel, 2-10 to 1-10, in the county quarter-final. The teams were evenly matched in the first half and Caheragh were just two points in arrears at the break. However, they never performed to their potential in the second half. A full match report on this game is in the sports section.

Although defeated the team can be very proud of their displays during the season when they became West Cork champions against the odds. They have also got a league semi-final to be played, as they have finished top of the section one league.

Back to top